Saturday 23 November 2013

SATURDAYSTORIESSEGMENT; A POLICE STORY (Part IV) -- Concluding part.



 Catherine is her daughter?, I thought she said she had no child; give it up fool, she lied to you, it’s as simple as that, she lied about everything!!!, my inner mind yelled at me.

"Mum we agreed he was to be killed immediately after the operation, the operation was successful what is he still doing here, in our house, mum did you sleep with him?!" Catherine screamed, feeling uneasy. I watched Catherine’s hands, and her index finger quiverered at the trigger, it seemed she would pull the trigger at me in any moment. Though she looked at me, she saw nothing; to her I was already among the dead.

"Baby relax, don't shoot him just yet"
"Mum!!! You thought me that the first step to failure in this business is going back on your word"
"I said hold it!". Rachael yelled back.
"At least before I die, I deserve an explanation". I said, virtually sobbing. The proceeding revelations had broken me and I became not a man but a thin film of despair.
"Enitsua" Rachael started, then continued "You have been caught in a cross fire between me and the people that did me wrong, it is unfortunate that you were just a pun in the chess game of my revenge. Chief Samuel Davies is a devil and a hard hearted criminal, he instigated my husband, his brother to yield to the business proposals of the yahoo boys and he also gave the yahoo boys information on how to defraud my husband, Chief Davies condemned us to a life of penury and scampering"


I watched Rachael as she spoke and I realized she was determined in whatever she was doing. I knew I was dead for sure.


"My young handsome Enitsua, your arrest was just a distraction. I made a deal with two people to ransack Samuele's house and get his pass book making it look like a robbery, your arrest was to distract my officer’s attention from the real perpetrators. Unfortunately I need to silence the robbers, because I have no tolerance for loose ends. I was to use Samuel’s pass book and bank information, manipulate it and draw out all his life savings, just like he did to my husband, although indirectly." She raised her eyebrow in brief remorse, then she proceded "But then I didn't know a thing about bank frauds, so that's when I brought in the yahoo boys, exactly the same boys that relieved my husband of his means of livelihood..."

Rachael moved a way from Catherine, taking a casual stroll, her gun still focus at my chest. I saw the befuddlement on Catherine face as she wondered why her mum was saying all these instead of shooting me, throwing me into a lagoon and forgetting about me.

"So I planted Catherine into their midst..." She continued " my plan was for them to teach her a few tricks, set up the stage, then I'l eliminate them, picking up from where they left off. Everything worked out perfectly that night" Rachael's mouth opened in a cynical smile as she continued , " Sorry I had to deceive you with the recording device that was just a techno phone. After I called you using the walkie talkie application, I was able to drag them out to their death, leaving Catherine there with their laptops and devices”
"So there you have it, there goes your complete police story, too bad you won't be around to write it. If you knew this was going to happen, you should have just omitted the 'Complete' and just dubbed it, A police story". Rachael said comically.

It was at that moment I realised that I never knew who Rachael was, I thought I did but I was far from it. Rachael was as bad as damaged goods. I would never be able to save this woman from herself. No, only her could save herself.

I just stood there and stared at the two women pointing their guns at me and I felt something for them, pity. The fear I once had was suddenly allayed and in a way I embraced the possibility of dying. I had learnt something from my situation. Life is what you make of it. If you decide to spend it planning revenge, so will it be, if you spend it trying to make the world a better place, it will be so.

"You deceived me?" Was all I could say.
"I was an actress remember" Rachael replied.

"Can we shoot him now" Catherine yelled.

There was silence.

I kept silent and looked straight into the mouth of their guns, waiting for them to fire. A picture of my dad slipped into my mind and for some reason his laughter and jest meant nothing anymore. I thought about my friends, my brother, my mum, my businesses and I surprised myself with a smile.

I had not written this story but I had lived it. I smiled once again, this time with the countenance of a hero.

"Okay..." Rachael said.
"Its about time". Catherine blurted as she positioned her gun to fire.
I stayed unmoved, awaiting the inevitable. Death had become my defeated foe. So i waited for the sound of the gun, I anticipated it.

"Okay, let him go!" Rachael blurted out.
"What! Mum are you crazy, do you know he can go and report us to the authorities" Catherine yelled, frantically.
"No, he won't do that, he is smarter than that". Rachael responded, looking at me as she completed her sentence.

"Go before I changed my mind, go !" Rachael repeated, pointing at the door behind them.
I looked at her for a second and then left through the door. I thought Catherine would disobey her mother and pull the trigger but she didn't.

I walked through the door, outside and out of the compound. Before I left, Rachael said something that touched me. She said: I am not a bad person, I am a good person in a bad situation.

I checked my watch and it said 7:10am. I stopped a cab and in less than five minutes I was dropped at my house. Miraculously I had some money on me, so I paid the driver.
I opened my room window from outside, jumped into my room, took off my shirt and laid on the bed, covering myself with a blanket. Barely a second later, my dad opened the door and stuck his head through.

"Good morning son"
"Good morning dad"
"I didn't see much of you yesterday"
"Dad I was around, I was writing a story" I lied, mayb that was the truth.
"Am going to work, no school today?"
"There is but I'l just rest today"
"I see"
"Am off to work, take care of the house" he stopped then looked at me and said "I wish you all the best".
I saw something in my dad's eye, I saw a sparkle. The symbol of love. That sparkle I cherished so much, that sparkle I searched for in the eyes of a damaged woman. I never knew it resided with me all along, in the apple of my dad's eye. Life is indeed what you make of it.
"Thank you dad" I replied.

I collapsed on my bed and slept off.

              ........................................

Two weeks had soon passed since my life changing experience; I still had dreams about that night, the deaths, the schemes, the betrayal, Rachael. The event opened my eyes to a whole new world and I couldn't be more grateful for that. My dad and I had become extraordinarily close, I never used to speak with him, let alone confide in him but now we were as close as peas in a pod, although I still didn't  disclose to him what happened that night. I looked upon the event of that night as a fictitious novel, though it seemed real and though evidence could be given to its credence, yet it never happened. That's what I programmed myself to believe.

I was in school now and I just finished seeing my supervisor. He just approved the last chapter of my project and I was overjoyed. My days are numbered in this place. My head was suddenly filled with images of law school, youth service and the law practice. I beamed with happiness. The future was indeed bright.

It was a ritual for me to buy the nation news paper every day. So on my way home , my vendor ran to me and handed me a paper, I folded it, put it between my arm and paid him.
On reaching home I unfurled the paper and I saw the front page news.

THE NATION.
VOL.8. NO.  2541 TUESDAY, JULY 9, 2013

ZONE 6 D.P.O AND DAUGHTER ARRESTED FOR BANK FRAUD AND MURDER.

It is ironical that the police who is supposed to be the custodian of peace and justice, is in fact the perpetrator of unmitigated evil.
The Deputy police officer of the zone 6 police division, Mrs. Rachael Davies and daughter, were caught red handed as they tried to use their gadgets to electronically rob Chief Samuel Davies of several millions of naira. The same criminal duo has been found to indulge in many other deviant acts, of which murder and armed robbery are among them. In a statement by Chief Samuel Davies himself, he said "I knew something fishy was going on, so I decided to employ surveillance to monitor the mother and daughter and obviously I was right in my suspicion. She is in fact my Sister in law but I believe she and her satanic little helper should face the full wrath of the law."
Though the two have employed the help of a lawyer there is great possibility that they might face a life sentence or worse, the death penalty.
                   ....................................

Life is what you make of it. If you decide to spend it planning revenge, so will it be, if you spend it trying to make the world a better place, it will be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment